Avalon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Avalon

An Island on the Net

PortalHomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog inSearch

Which books have your knickers in a knot?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Momo
Member of Avalon
Member of Avalon
Momo

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Nickname: Hey you...
Emotion: Hyper

Which books have your knickers in a knot? Empty
PostSubject: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 9:56 pm

I have a bad habit of keeping old schoolbooks of mine. As in we got them to read for a class and I never handed it back in. It's only stealing if you over-analyze it. Anyways, I came across The Catcher In The Rye the other day while sorting through old books. We had to read that in grade 12 and I remember how every literary circle I've ever been in praises that book , calling it a classic and a piece of literature that changed the way literature was percieved. While that's all nice and good, I'm sorry to say but the book is absolute rubbish if you ask me. I will not go into a full critique as that would take days and days but it was not worth being referred to as a classic.

I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way. Is there any books you've been assigned to read or have been recommended because they are classic or are 'great pieces of literature' that you've felt were not worthy of being called classics? Or literature for that matter.
Back to top Go down
http://katekyohitmanreborn.proboards.com
S
Member of Avalon
Member of Avalon
S

Male
Number of posts : 1282
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Nickname: I M INOVATOR!
Emotion: Neutral

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:09 am

I remember that I forgot to return 5 story-books from class-library.
In our schools, we were never ask to read some books apart from our school texts.
The worse reading to get assigned was "Romeo and Juliet", about 1yr and half ago.
I nearly fail that task since I didn't read it completely. I sure don't like to read
quiet stuff like those plus too much high words. It's not like that reading was worthless
since half of my class fav. that. I think it's me, who is with problem.
Back to top Go down
Rimy
Net-Ranger
Net-Ranger
Rimy

Female
Number of posts : 2762
Gtalk : Sakuracutey@gmail.com

Nickname: Goddess ~

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:36 am

when I came to canada everyone was like "TWLIGHT"
-.-; I read it for around a chapter or two, and it was just cr*p.....
cr*p, cr*p, cr*p.
Back to top Go down
http://xxthedarkhourxx.proboards.com
S
Member of Avalon
Member of Avalon
S

Male

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Twilight, I read it for the first time because when I read first chapter, I thought I know someone with about the same personality.
Second time is I tried Audiobook. It is alot better than book. But I m not gonna try the whole series since it's some impossible romance of vampireXhumanXwerewolf.
Back to top Go down
Rimy
Net-Ranger
Net-Ranger
Rimy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:02 pm

I know , right ?
xD LMAO - VampyxhumanxWoofey.
And Romeo and Juliet was sh*t. I mean everyone says like it's the greatest romance *ever*.
But it was just horrible. The writing - I don't mind.
But the plot can be created within a child's mind Dx
Maybe it was the best romance in Willy's age but not in 2009...
A Korean Drama could do way better.
Back to top Go down
Momo
Member of Avalon
Member of Avalon
Momo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:23 pm

He, so easy. S, plain out, Romeo and Juliet is the revenge teachers take on snot-nosed kids. Shakespeare was no genius. He stole most of his stories, Romeo and Juliet included, from old myths and legends. And the original tale of Romeo and Juliet sucked the big one as well. It's mindless crap that only prepubscent teens enjoy. It throughly distorts all sense of romance. Shakespeare's writing style, meh, I can take it or leave it. His sonnets though are to die for.

Twilight cannot be mentioned around me without me twitching violently. In my humble opinion somebody should burn all those books. Every single one. It's a blemish on literary history. No, even worse, it's plain out rapeage of all things good and literary. Not only are the characters two dimensional and the main girl an obvious Author Insert, but the fact that the author admits that the whole idea came from one of her sick sexual fantasies about 16-18 year old vampires annoys me. Also, Edward watching Bella sleep? Stalker! There is nothing romantic about that. Stalker behavior is against the law. Young girls should not want to be stalked and should not be sent subliminal messages that stalking is okay. Also, Edward and Bella would be considered pedophelia if you really think about it. And Jacob and Renesmee orwhateverhernameis is OUTRIGHT STATED pedophilia. Yeah, great message to send Stephanie. Ya big twit.

Yes, I tend to ramble and rant whenever twilight is mentioned. And that's not even getting started on in-depth analysis of how utterly wrong that book is. Another book that irks me. Well, technically, play. Hamlet. Hamlet is utterly and absolutely boring. The plot line is repetitive and easily anticipated. Again, Shakespeare brings dull to a new level.
Back to top Go down
Aizawa Tasuya
Ex-NF
Ex-NF
Aizawa Tasuya

Male
Number of posts : 2090
Gtalk : www.coordinator@gmail.com
Registration date : 2009-05-29

Nickname:

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:16 pm

.......I see that a fiery discussion has been taking place during my absence. Well Twilight sure receives a lot of different opinions. In any case, I doubt anyone here likes detective stories. If so , I would like to share my opinions
Back to top Go down
S
Member of Avalon
Member of Avalon
S

Male

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 3:42 am

Twilight sure have two really different fans. I saw few months ago in RD article "Ask Aunty" that a girl crazily asked "I want some guy like Edward! Or else I will die."
I doubt that anyone here can push a van away or a vampire who avoids biting (and a vampire who shines.) But she isn't the only one so I guess it spoils.

I like Detective ones like Holmes'. (and that's the only one I tried, so far)
Back to top Go down
Rimy
Net-Ranger
Net-Ranger
Rimy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 6:11 am

Twilight made other vampire shows sad.
Twilight makes real vampires sad.
LIke as in sad. depressed sad.
>3>; now whenever a vampire-thingy comes on. Many fans are like "ARGH, not another vampire"
And who knows it may be a good book/show but because of twilight it's ruined.

I read british fluff books when I was back in yangon from BC. 8D they were good.
Back to top Go down
Momo
Member of Avalon
Member of Avalon
Momo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 8:03 am

Hmm, Twilight has ruined all forthcoming vampire books for most people. I, however, still support vampire books simply because I've always been a fan of The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. Lestat though...is made sad by the Cullens. ;.;

And Twilight fans scare the living crap out of me. There was this girl who posted on a site I chat on occassionally that she broke up with her boyfriend because, and I quote, "he didn't sparkle like Edward." I was like...oh my god. INSANE!

Again on Twilight, does anyone feel that one feel that someone should make the mother of all crossovers and have the real vampires from the classic vamp books (like Dracula, The Vampire Chronicles, and such) just kill off all things in Forks? Because that I'd read. That I'd buy and frame every page of.

Moving on, I enjoy detective stories, though it really depends on which ones you are talking about. Sherlock Holme's is, of course, classic reading for anyone who enjoys mysteries. Agatha Christie wasn't half-bad, Encyclopedia Brown's books were cute. I mostly read true life crime books though if I'm in the mood for detective/crime stories.

And what exactly do you mean by British fluff books?
Back to top Go down
Aizawa Tasuya
Ex-NF
Ex-NF
Aizawa Tasuya

Male
Number of posts : 2090
Gtalk : www.coordinator@gmail.com
Registration date : 2009-05-29

Nickname:

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:13 am

I really like RISING SUN by Micheal Christon. Haven't seen a detective story with so much political and economical involvement
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which books have your knickers in a knot?   Which books have your knickers in a knot? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which books have your knickers in a knot?
Page 1 of 1